Wellington Police notes: Wednesday, March 30, 2016â€¢8:05 a.m. Officers investigated a burglary and theft in the 600 block N A, Wellington by known suspect.â€¢8:17 a.m. Officers took a report of a lost wallet in the Wellington.â€¢3:07 p.m. Officers investigated a theft by known suspect(s) in the 2000 block E. 16th, Wellington.
Bordeaux, France | AFP | Bordeaux star Malcom is “thinking over” a potential move to Arsenal amid interest from the Premier League club, the French side’s coach Jocelyn Gourvennec admitted on Monday.According to Brazilian media, the chances of the 20-year-old moving to London are good, and would bring the Ligue 1 club around 50 million euros ($61.3 million).“He isn’t unsettled but he is thinking it over,” Gourvennec said ahead of his team’s Ligue 1 match at home to Caen on Tuesday. “He’s thinking about what’s the best choice for him, it’s only logical.”Malcom has been one of the few bright spots of what is turning out to be a terrible season for Bordeaux, scoring seven league goals and making five assists while his team flounder in the lower regions of the league.They are just four points above the relegation zone and on a miserable run of form, with the 1-0 win at Troyes on Saturday just their second success in 13 games, a run that started with a 6-2 hammering by Paris Saint-Germain in late September.Share on: WhatsApp
Madang Soccer Association president Ray Romo, in a meeting with the local organising committee and chairman of Momase Soccer Federation, Sigi Beche, reiterated that MSA will do everything possible to make this tournament a success.“As the president of one of the oldest associations in the country, my executives and I are ready to host the tournament on our grounds. At the same time, we will provide necessary support to the local organising committee in whatever way we can.“We are a team and the love of soccer is our most important priority. This tournament is our time to showcase our love for soccer and welcome the visiting teams with open arms,” Romo said.MSA will field a team while its sister associations, affiliated to MSA, such as Sumgilbar, Karkar, Middle Ramu and Bogia, will come with a team as well.Romo said MSA will support the organising committee to provide fixtures, referees, prepare grounds and help in security for the duration of the game.“Madang people are soccer lovers and so far, they are gearing up to welcome the visiting teams from within Momase and watch them.“We are challenging the teams from Morobe, East Sepik and Sandaun to prepare well and come to Madang because Team Madang is ready to challenge them on home soil,” Romo said.Teams who are yet to pay their registration must do so before the due date on July 29 and email the deposit butt to MSA, advises the president.Meanwhile, local organising committee chairman John Maripal said so far, 23 teams have lodged in their interest but are yet to pay their registration fee of K500.He said fees can be deposited into the Madang Soccer Association account, account number 1000 1729 87, BSP Madang branch. Email the deposit butt to firstname.lastname@example.org.Maripal can also be contacted on 7216 0785.The official draw will be released on August 4th once all the teams are finalised.Maripal says Madang is prepared to welcome all the visiting teams next month.(MSA president Ray Romo)
News organizations are considering dramatic steps. In a time of declining print advertising revenue, newspapers are confronting the prospect of million-dollar fines, hefty legal fees and jail time if they resist subpoenas. For example, reporters might be asked not to store sensitive notes on company computers and to use disposable phones if necessary to protect a source. There are limits. Jane Kirtley, a media ethics professor at the University of Minnesota, said reporters should have flexibility to negotiate deals with sources regarding “background” and “off-the-record” discussions – or risk not getting information at all. Spelling out explicit terms with sources beforehand could scare off whistleblowers, she said, if reporters are essentially forced to issue a “Miranda warning – that anything you say I may need to cough up so I won’t go to jail.” Media advocates say what may be needed is a federal shield law protecting journalists from disclosing confidential information in court. Thirty-two states and the District of Columbia have such laws, but there is no federal protection. Until then, the Poynter Institute’s Clark said reporters will simply have to find ways to survive. “However bad we may look on a particular day, once the gears of the sausage machine are revealed, I hope people realize that journalists don’t have to be perfect in order to be responsible,” he said. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Nearly a dozen of Washington’s best-known journalists took the stand during the five-week trial to recount confidential interviews. Most of them testified unwillingly, under court order. Only 13 media subpoenas had been granted in the previous 15 years involving confidential sources, according to the Justice Department. Special Prosecutor Patrick Fitzgerald obtained waivers from several government officials that released journalists from their confidentiality promises, a tactic that media advocates say is coercive and chilling on potential whistleblowers. After the verdict Tuesday, Fitzgerald defended his decision to subpoena journalists, saying it was necessary because Libby was falsely claiming that he had learned about Plame from reporters. Fitzgerald also suggested that prosecutors wouldn’t hesitate to order reporters into court again. “Questioning reporters should be a last resort in a very unusual case, but what people should realize is that we never take that off the table,” he said. “This was a case where that was appropriate,” Fitzgerald said. “Talking to reporters proved a lie.” WASHINGTON – The Libby conviction, based on journalists’ testimony, is forcing the rapidly changing media to re-examine how they can gather news without getting hauled into court. White House aide I. Lewis “Scooter” Libby was found guilty Tuesday on four felony counts of lying about his role in exposing undercover CIA officer Valerie Plame. He could face up to 25 years in prison. The case was hard on the news media, too. “The trial has demystified the priestly practices of Washington journalism,” said Roy Peter Clark, a senior scholar at the Poynter Institute, a school and resource center for working journalists. “I think we’ll see prosecutors going after journalists more often.”
He reportedly lost control of his motorbike in the air when taking a jump at excessive speed and took a hard landing on the ground. A benefit dance is being held this weekend to try and raise funds to help with the many challenges he now faces on a daily basis. Taking place Saturday, June 22 at the Legion, there will be a silent auction, draws, and a midnight dinner. Tickets cost $20, and donations will also be accepted.- Advertisement –
The announced crowd of 90,917 got its victory Saturday night, but it wanted a more emphatic performance. And it was not lost on the Trojans, who tried to explain why they didn’t earn many encores from their zealous followers. “All the jitters you get out in the first game is hard stuff,” linebacker Thomas Williams said. “Yeah, we practice against the best every day, but with the lights, the crowd cheering, the TV, it’s tough.” All-American offensive tackle Sam Baker said fans expected a more lopsided score because the opponent was Idaho, but needed to consider other factors. “A lot of people think we should win big, but we were really unsure what they would come out with defensively because they had a new coach,” Baker said. Maybe the uninspired result was attributed to the fact there did not seem to be the intensity of a normal game week around USC last week. COLLEGE FOOTBALL: Neither the fans nor the players are satisfied with a 38-10 victory over Idaho. By Scott Wolf STAFF WRITER Before USC even finished beating Idaho, 38-10, fans were restless inside the Coliseum. USC coach Pete Carroll praised certain aspects of the Trojans’ initial effort, but also found plenty of little errors to point out. “We didn’t shut down the run as well as we’d hoped,” Carroll said. “I was really disappointed that we turned the ball over three times. It’s a bad start for us in that regard.” Carroll also criticized the secondary. “It was like the guys were stretching to make things happen,” he said. And he acknowledged the defensive line did not pressure the quarterback enough, a recurring problem last season. “There were four or five times where we were just short of making something happen,” Carroll said. But enough about the defense. The offense was more than culpable. Quarterback John David Booty struggled and admitted, “we had times where we played like we expected, and times where we didn’t.” Even highly touted Joe McKnight did not enjoy a smashing debut, with a fumble and 26 yards rushing in six carries. Carroll blamed the pregame buildup involving the nation’s top tailback recruit. “I thought he got through it,” Carroll said. “He seemed tired to me.” McKnight and the rest of the Trojans get two weeks to massage their bruised egos. But USC should need a much better effort against Nebraska. “Nebraska runs the football, there’s a big emphasis on that,” Carroll said. He is curious to watch how Huskers quarterback Sam Keller, a transfer from Arizona State who nearly beat USC two years ago, is used in the offense. “We get to look at them two games to see how they use Sam,” Carroll said. ETC.: Tailback Broderick Green will undergo surgery Tuesday on a stress fracture that likely will sideline him for the season. … Cornerback Josh Pinkard underwent an MRI that detected a problem in his knee, but doctors are not sure what the problem is yet. Pinkard, who did not play against Idaho, will rest a few days to see if his knee continues to bother him. … Linebacker Brian Cushing sprained his ankle but said he believed it was a low-ankle sprain and would only sideline him a few days. email@example.comWant local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
1 Wissam Ben Yedder in action for Toulouse West Ham are ready to turn to Toulouse star Wissam Ben Yedder as they continue their search for a new striker.The Hammers are desperate to land a forward this summer and the club have already failed with a number of approaches for different targets.Lyon striker Alexandre Lacazette turned down an offer from them in June, while a deal for AC Milan hitman Carlos Bacca has stalled.And now, according to RMC, the Hammers are ready to make a move for Ben Yedder instead.The 25-year-old, who bagged 23 goals last season, is available for around £10m and several other clubs are interested too.Leicester City are keeping tabs on the Frenchman, while Lazio and Real Betis are also willing to meet Ben Yedder’s asking price.
Lucas Leiva 1 Liverpool’s experienced midfielder Lucas Leiva is in advanced talks with Turkish side Trabzonspor, according to reports.The 30-year-old Brazilian, who has spent ten years at Anfield, is expected to leave this summer with first-team opportunities limited under Jurgen Klopp.Lucas made 24 appearances for the Reds last term but was used mostly off the bench and could well end his long-term affiliation with the Merseyside club.According to Turkish news source Haberturk, Trabzonspor are in advanced talks with the midfielder but there remain issues over his salary demands.The source claims Lucas has demanded £3million per-season but the Turkish club are only willing to offer £2.2m.If a compromise can be reached, it is likely that the transfer will go ahead and Lucas will complete his move to Turkey.
A six year old girl drew a picture of an erect penis to explain to her family how she had been abused by an uncle on a number of occasions.The girl was indecently assaulted on a number of occasions in the kitchen, sitting room and toilet of his home in the 1980s. The man, who cannot be named to project the victim’s identity, pleaded guilty to five counts of indecent assault when he appeared for sentence at Letterkenny Circuit Court today.The court heard how the allegations only came out when the girl was taking part in ‘horse play’ with other young family members.The girl has said how, when her skirt was innocently lifted up, that “that’s not as bad as what happened with me and XXXXXXXXXX.”Her parents chatted to her about what had happened and she drew a picture of an erect penis and revealed what had happened to her.The family went to a local priest but he advised them not to try and move on for the sake of the family.No official contact was made with Gardai and the court was told that the abuse happened in the 1980s before reporting guidelines were in place.The accused was confronted with the allegations by the girl’s parents in 1984 but he denied al the claims.However, the victim suffered a psychotic episode in 2009 and later in 2014 reported the incident to Gardai.Detective Sgt Michael Galvin told the court that he interviewed the accused man but after initially denying the allegations, he admitted that some incidents had taken place.The man, who was in his 30s at the time, admitted claims that he had asked the girl to masturbate him.However, he denied claims by the girl that he had forced the girl to ‘kiss his penis.”He also denied that he had offered the girl lemon curd sandwiches and sweets after the incidents to keep the assaults a secret.He estimated that the assaults took place between five and eight times but stopped thereafter.A lengthy and touching victim impact statement was read to the court on behalf of the girl who told how she was now trying to come to terms with her abuse.She said she had been on an incredible journey of healing through anger and depression and had discovered that the “truth will set you free but first it will kick your ass.”The victim, who decided not to come to court, then said she would accept whatever judgement the court decided to hand down to the accused.She also said that she hopes her abuser realises what he has done to her.“For me the best possible outcome is that XXXXXXXXXX comes to realise the impact of his choices. I hope he finds a true sense of responsibility for those choices,” she said.Defence barrister Peter Nolan said the incidents had thorn the families apart but that apart from this incident, he had been hard-working throughout his life and was accompanied by his wife who had always stood by him.Judge John O’Hagan said this was a very sad case.However he said the persistent denial made by the uncle and the age difference between the victim and the perpetrator put this in the mid range of seriousness of cases.He said he had allowed the victim to live with guilt, anger, shame and fear.“She has had to endure this alone and throughout. She was clearly being made out to be a liar. Uncle XXXXXXX is telling truth and not you.“The one fear that children have coming to court is that they won’t be believed. This adult world of ours brings a terrible insecurity to a child,” he said.“He was a father himself. What would he do if he discovered one of his children was being abused? He is unlikely to stay quiet about it. It shows that he knew what he was doing was very wrong,” he said.He also paid tribute to the victim and the articulate victim impact statement.He sentenced the man to five years but he suspended the last two years of each sentence meaning the man will serve three years in prison.He also placed him on the sex offenders register.Uncle jailed for three years after horrific abuse of niece was last modified: December 8th, 2016 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:courtdonegalINDECENT ASSAULT
9 9 6. Paulinho (Brazil) – £3million 5. Fagner (Brazil) – £2.5million 9 1. Harry Kane (England) – £6million 9 Speaking of cheap, if you’re having money trouble you might want to take a punt on Swedish forward Toivonen. He scored against Germany earlier in the tournament and hit their winner against France in qualifying. He’s the man for the big occasion and could be the Allen key to your side’s success. And an ex-Sunderland flop knocking England out sounds about right. 3. Diego Laxalt (Uruguay) – £1.5million Tottenham Hotspur fans are still scratching their heads about this man but he could bring them joy if they whack him in their Dream Teams XI. He’s due a goal and could really do a job on the Belgian midfield, who are likely to be outnumbered by Brazil’s. If they leave the roaming Barcelona star he might end up on the end of a cross or two. 9 9 With Neymar spending 14 minutes on the floor during the World Cup, so far. Flying wing-back Meunier might just punish his laziness. All the rolling around won’t help Brazil if he can’t pin back the Paris Saint-Germain star, who will attempt to gallivant down the flank and fire in crosses to Romelu Lukaku. If you thought Neymar had the worst barnet at World Cup 2018, you haven’t watch the Genoa star in action. Another attacking full-back, he’s been brilliant since coming into the team, and is well on the way to earning a summer transfer. He could be a brilliant cheap option as you try to get some superstars in your team. 4. Lucas Hernandez (France) – £2million When a player is getting comparisons with Pele you know it’s time to throw him into your Dream Team. His pace had Argentina scared stiff and caused Marcos Rojo to give away a penalty in the round of 16. He’s also netted three goals and may become the first person ever to make Diego Godin panic. 9 But who do you need to bring in to replace them? See our top Dream Team transfer picks below.8. Kylian Mbappe (France) – £3.5million Monsieur of the dark arts, thanks to Diego Simeone, the marauding left-back hasn’t scored a goal like Benjamin Pavard but he’s got more Dream Team points than the curly-haired Stuttgart star from full-back. 9 England are into the World Cup quarter-finals after beating Colombia on penalties. 2. Ola Toivonen (Sweden) – £1million It’s okay, you aren’t the only person who had never heard about him before the World Cup, even if a football hipster is crowing about his three games at PSV Eindhoven. He’s amassed 24 points so far and will start every match they play due to Danilo’s injury. 9 7. Thomas Meunier (Belgium) – £3million We’re into the World Cup 2018 quarter-finals over in Russia so now it’s time to make more changes to your Dream Team.One way or another, you’re likely to have had some of your players eliminated, especially with Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo now out What are we saying? It’s coming home. And Harry is the man carrying it all the way with his penalties. What more reason do you need? You can hear every World Cup 2018 quarter-final match live on talkSPORT.