Senior designs, sells bags for children’s hospital

first_imgSenior Kate Kellogg, vice president of Saint Mary’s Dance Marathon, first introduced her custom-designed canvas tote to campus in the fall of 2011. “When I was in high school, I would choose colors and fabric to create my own bag to bring to school,” Kellogg explained. “My mom’s business, the Queen and I Designs, had talented sewers that would put together exactly what I was envisioning.” Last year, when Kellogg constructed her own vision of a Saint Mary’s bag for students to haul their books around campus, she thought of incorporating Dance Marathon. “I decided to mass-produce the bag that I had wanted for my own personal use and sell it through Dance Marathon,” Kellogg said. “I thought it would be a great way for business and to raise awareness and donations for Dance Marathon.” Kellogg’s mother Jan said she and her company are very supportive of the Saint Mary’s Dance Marathon totes. “I have loved working with Kate on her bag designs,” Jan said. “It’s fun to have a mother-daughter project and to see her ideas produced as a product.” The popular navy canvas totes with a white imprinted French Cross have been extremely popular around campus. This year Kate engineered a new canvas tote for Dance Marathon with a black and tan block pattern, but still imprinted with a white French Cross that is a signature of the College. Kate said Dance Marathon has multiple fundraisers throughout the year in order to reach the final goal of $88,000. Throughout the rest of this week, Dance Marathon will be selling Kate’s custom-designed totes with 30 percent of the proceeds benefitting Riley Children’s Hospital. Along with the sale of the canvas totes, Dance Marathon is also hosting a Giveback night at Between the Buns on November 19, where 15 percent of all purchases will go towards Riley Children’s Hospital. Kate said she has enjoyed her involvement in Dance Marathon and Riley Children’s Hospital and urges all of the Notre Dame, Saint Mary’s and Holy Cross communities to participate. “It’s great to be doing something that I love and that expresses my creativity,” she said, “while also knowing donations will be going to a great cause.”last_img read more

Read more on Senior designs, sells bags for children’s hospital

Fast reaction: 3 factors that led to Syracuse’s big win at Wake Forest

first_imgWINSTON-SALEM, N.C. — Syracuse’s four-game losing streak is over. The Orange (3-4, 1-2 Atlantic Coast) rolled through Wake Forest (2-5, 0-3), 30-7, at BB&T Field on Saturday afternoon behind a huge day on the defensive side and an adequate showing on offense in freshman quarterback AJ Long’s first college start. Here are three reasons why the game went the way it did. 1. Turn, baby, turnIndicative of Syracuse’s season, the defense shouldered the load. But this time, it put points on the board itself.Defensive end Robert Welsh picked off a pass from Wake Forest quarterback John Wolford, who took a shot on the play from SU linebacker Dyshawn Davis and didn’t return. Welsh trucked 42 yards to the end zone and pushed Syracuse’s lead to 17-7 five minutes before halftime.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textIn the third quarter, cornerback Brandon Reddish came in hot and knocked the ball loose from the grasp of WFU backup quarterback Tyler Cameron. The ball popped up into the hands of Orange defensive end Micah Robinson, who strolled 51 yards for another defensive score.That gave SU a 27-7 lead. Syracuse brought heavy pressure on Wake Forest’s offense all day long and took some pressure off its offense to account for SU’s points.2. Long distanceAlthough only one of Syracuse’s first four red-zone opportunities resulted in a touchdown, it got the Orange on track.On second-and-goal from the 4, Long escaped pressure from the left side and scrambled to wide-open space on his right. He stayed behind the line of scrimmage for most of the run, but made a sharp turn for the pylon and beat two Demon Deacon defenders with a last-second lunge. It was a touchdown from 4 yards out, but plenty more wide, and put the Orange up 10-3 with 7:50 left in the second quarter and paved the way for sophomore quarterback Mitch Kimble’s collegiate debut late in the fourth.3. Rule of 3rdsScott Shafer has said he wants a 45 percent conversion rate on third down from his offense. He got even better than that in the first half.Syracuse succeeded on 6-of-9 third downs in the first half for a 66.7 percent clip, nearly double the Orange’s season average of 33.4 percent heading into the contest.Although the red-zone offense didn’t display much improvement, the unit moved the chains on some lengthy third-down situations — two third-and-11s on its first drives. On SU’s only touchdown drive, a 92-yard march, it only earned a new set of downs on third down before Long punched it in from 4 yards out. Comments Published on October 18, 2014 at 3:26 pm Facebook Twitter Google+last_img read more

Read more on Fast reaction: 3 factors that led to Syracuse’s big win at Wake Forest

GOVERNMENT IS COMPLETELY IGNORING APPRENTICESHIP PROGRAMMES – McCONALOGUE

first_imgFianna Fáil has accused the Government of completely ignoring apprenticeship programmes over the past four years.Charlie McConalogue TDThey also claim that Education Minister Jan O’Sullivan is trying to win back support for her party by promising to extend the scheme to new sectors.New figures released to Fianna Fáil through Parliamentary Question reveal that the number of apprenticeships fell by 30% between 2010 and 2014. The party’s Education spokesperson Charlie McConalogue says these figures are a damning indictment of the scant attention given by this Government to the apprenticeship programme.“Successive Ministers have been shockingly slow to realise that an apprenticeship system is vital in dealing with Ireland’s acute long-term unemployment problem. However, it appears to have fallen off the Government agenda and has only resurfaced now that a General Election is on the horizon.“While Higher Education will continue to be the primary pathway for young people to skilled employment, it does not suit everyone and employers value vocational training. However this Government has failed to build on the programmes that have been offered to date and have allowed participation to fall off without introducing any changes to the existing programmes or expanding them until now. The demand from the technology and business sectors has not been fully utilised or valued and its role and contribution is not well understood by this government.”He added that while the proposal by the Apprenticeship Council to expand apprenticeship categories is welcome, the announcement is a drop in the ocean of what is required to deal with what is fast becoming Ireland’s largest economic problem. “Government, education providers and industry must work together to ensure these new apprenticeship areas are fast tracked immediately,” he said.GOVERNMENT IS COMPLETELY IGNORING APPRENTICESHIP PROGRAMMES – McCONALOGUE was last modified: August 2nd, 2015 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Charlie McConaloguedonegalfianna failTDlast_img read more

Read more on GOVERNMENT IS COMPLETELY IGNORING APPRENTICESHIP PROGRAMMES – McCONALOGUE