What we’re reading: Former Vice President dies at 93, Chad President killed on frontlines

first_imgFacebook Amanda Vasquez Amanda Vasquezhttps://www.tcu360.com/author/amanda-vasquez/ Amanda Vasquezhttps://www.tcu360.com/author/amanda-vasquez/ ReddIt VicePresident Walter Mondale spoke to the U.S. Olympic Committee House of Delegates meeting, Saturday, April 12, 1980 in Colorado Springs and urged them to vote to boycott the 1980 Summer Games in Moscow. The House of Delegates then met in closed session. (AP Photo/Ed Andrieski) Abortion access threatened as restrictive bills make their way through Texas Legislature printFormer Vice President dies Walter Mondale, former Vice President for Jimmy Carter, died Monday at age 93, according to NBC.Mondale served as Carter’s close advisor from 1977 to 1981 and was a former senator from Minnesota. In a statement on Monday night, Carter said, “Today I mourn the passing of my dear friend Walter Mondale, who I consider the best vice president in our country’s history.” Some of Mondale’s most important efforts as vice president included passing legislation such as the Fair Housing Act and Title IX.President Joe Biden and First Lady Jill Biden described Mondale as one of “our nation’s most dedicated patriots.”Chad President killed on frontlinesChad President KilledImage ID : 21110408165373FILE – In this Wednesday, April 20, 2016 file photo, Chadian President Idriss Deby Itno meets with U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Samantha Power at the presidential palace in N’Djamena, Chad, Wednesday, April 20, 2016. Chadian President Idriss Deby Itno, who ruled the central African nation for more than three decades, was killed on the battlefield Tuesday, April 20, 2021 in a fight against rebels, the country’s top military commander announced on national television and radio. (AP Photo/Andrew Harnik, File)After visiting Chadian frontline troops, the president of Chad Idriss Déby died after run-ins with rebels. However, the circumstances surrounding his death are unclear, according to The Washington Post.The day before Déby’s death, provisional election results predicted that he would serve another term in office. Déby was one of the longest-serving leaders in Africa, according to BBC.An army general on state TV said that Déby “breathed his last defending the sovereign nation on the battlefield.”Déby’s son, Gen. Mahamat Kaka, will now lead the military council for the next 18 months, however, elections will be held once his transition into power is over.Kaka also announced a 6 a.m. curfew and the closing of the country’s borders.Two killed in driverless crash in HoustonTesla Crash Image ID : 21109570788520 FILE – This Feb. 9, 2019 file photo shows a sign bearing the company logo outside a Tesla store in Cherry Creek Mall in Denver. Federal safety regulators have sent a team to investigate the fatal crash of a Tesla electric car near Houston in which local authorities say no one was behind the wheel. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said Monday, April 19, 2021 it has sent a Special Crash Investigation team to Spring, Texas, to look into the fiery Saturday night, April 17 crash that killed two men. (AP Photo/David Zalubowski, File)A Tesla with no one in the driver’s seat, but one person in the front passenger seat and another in the backseat, was found in a fiery wreck Saturday night. One person was 69 and the other was 59, according to KXAN.Mark Herman, Harris County Precinct 4 constable, told KHOU-TV he was confident that “no one was driving that vehicle.”The car was traveling fast when it lost control and swerved off the road hitting a tree. It was unclear if the driving assist or autopilot was in use at the time of the crash. Tesla has warned customers that autopilot should be closely monitored and be ready to take control when in use. The National Transportation Safety Board reported last year that the system allows drivers to avoid paying attention while on autopilot, however, it “fails to limit where autopilot can be used.” Non-traditional classrooms to continue to be used next semester as distancing requirements persist Hermès and scarves: A look at one of the most unique combinations in the west What we’re reading: Chauvin found guilty in Floyd case, Xi to attend Biden’s climate change summit Boschini responds to faculty criticism over recent interview Linkedincenter_img Amanda Vasquezhttps://www.tcu360.com/author/amanda-vasquez/ Linkedin Twitter Facebook Twitter ReddIt Amanda Vasquezhttps://www.tcu360.com/author/amanda-vasquez/ What we’re reading: Request to sequester denied in Chauvin trial, Michigan’s COVID-19 cases rise + posts Previous articleTaylor’s monster slam highlights big weekend for TCU AthleticsNext article2020-21 NFL Exit Interviews – NFC South Amanda Vasquez RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR What we’re reading: Closing arguments in Chauvin trial, Austin shooting suspect arrestedlast_img read more

Read more on What we’re reading: Former Vice President dies at 93, Chad President killed on frontlines

22,000 Lawyers Applied For Financial Help, BCI Not Responding On Application Seeking Permission For Disbursing The Amount: WB Bar Council Tells HC

first_imgNews Updates22,000 Lawyers Applied For Financial Help, BCI Not Responding On Application Seeking Permission For Disbursing The Amount: WB Bar Council Tells HC MEHAL JAIN20 May 2020 8:39 AMShare This – xThe Calcutta High Court was informed by the West Bengal Bar Council on Tuesday that amidst the lockdown, about 22000 applications for financial aid have been received from Advocates and the same are being processed.The Chief Justice-led bench was told that the State Bar Council needs to obtain permission from the Bar Council of India before starting disbursement of such financial aid…Your free access to Live Law has expiredTo read the article, get a premium account.Your Subscription Supports Independent JournalismSubscription starts from ₹ 599+GST (For 6 Months)View PlansPremium account gives you:Unlimited access to Live Law Archives, Weekly/Monthly Digest, Exclusive Notifications, Comments.Reading experience of Ad Free Version, Petition Copies, Judgement/Order Copies.Subscribe NowAlready a subscriber?LoginThe Calcutta High Court was informed by the West Bengal Bar Council on Tuesday that amidst the lockdown, about 22000 applications for financial aid have been received from Advocates and the same are being processed.The Chief Justice-led bench was told that the State Bar Council needs to obtain permission from the Bar Council of India before starting disbursement of such financial aid to Advocates. “A letter has been written by the Bar Council of West Bengal to the Bar Council of India seeking such permission, but no response has been received till date to such letter by the State Bar Council”, it was urged on behalf of the WB Bar Council.The High Court on Tuesday also requested the Centre and the state of West Bengal to look into the issue of payment of the outstanding fees of the Government Advocates at the appropriate level.A writ petitioner submitted before the Division Bench that huge amounts on account of lawyers’ fees for rendering professional services are outstanding and payable by the State Government as well as Central Government to Advocates who represent these governments. It was urged that if such dues of the lawyers are cleared, the same shall mitigate the hardship of the Government Advocates to a great extent.”Learned Advocate General representing the State Government and learned Advocate representing the Union of India, at our request, have assured us that they will look into the matter and discuss the issue of payment of the outstanding fees of the Government Advocates at the appropriate level”, recorded the Court.Click Here To Download OrderRead Order Next Storylast_img read more

Read more on 22,000 Lawyers Applied For Financial Help, BCI Not Responding On Application Seeking Permission For Disbursing The Amount: WB Bar Council Tells HC

Smoky Mountains National Park to Demolish 29 Historic Cabins; Preserve 19 Others

first_imgElkmont is a historic portion of Great Smoky Mountains National Park once home to a resort and logging community.Residents of the community have been gone for decades, but the cabins built to house them still remain as visible reminders of a bygone era.The National Park Service allowed the families who owned these cabins to retain them until the early 1990s. Since then, the cabins have sat vacant, slowly deteriorating.Now, big changes are in store for the historic structures as NPS has announced its intention to demolish 29 of the cabins and restore and preserve 19 others.“They are stabilizing those structures, and by the end of this year we hope that they will be open for public access,” said park spokeswoman Dana Soehn.Of the cabins slated for razing, Soehn said, “we hope to have the contractor selected by early March and then start that demolition process.”According to Soehn, park officials are taking special precautions to preserve hardware within the cabins, things like window seals, lighting fixtures and door knobs that are unique to the era in which they were built, before the demolition takes place.Once the project is underway a few popular trails in the areas of Jake’s Creek and Little River will be temporarily shut down.last_img read more

Read more on Smoky Mountains National Park to Demolish 29 Historic Cabins; Preserve 19 Others